Monday, March 8, 2010

Iguassu Falls, HOLY COW!

Iguassu Falls  = AMAZING.

Seriuosly. Niagra Falls has nothing on this place. In fact, Niagra is more like a tiny trickle compared to Iguassu..alright, fine, it's still really big, but comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

There are two sides to the Falls: the brazil side and the argentina side.    

The brazil side was basically like jumping into the river since the mist the falls were shooting up basically drenched anyone who didn't have a heavy duty rain coat on. The falls seemed pretty spectacular from the Brazil side but I knew the argentina side was supposed to better, although I wasn't sure how it could get better than walking on a walk way out over the river into the mouth of the falls.  I was soooo wrong though!! I spent my time at the falls with an aussie I met, who was not as cool as I thought she would be, but oh well. I`ve learned that meeting weird people is bound to happen on a trip like this, especially when you're traveling solo.

We spent the night at a hostel called Hostel Sweet Hostel. I should have known better than to stay there based on the name alone. The place was so gross--I`m pretty sure there was mold growing on the walls in my room and there was a really weird smell in my room, so I might have inhaled some fungal spores.  Another backpacking experience that I expected, but was hoping to avoid. haha. Oh well. No bed bugs, so I can't complain too much because I have heard some horror stories.

The next morning my aussie friend and I went to the Argentine side of the falls, and it was like a completely different world! The Brazil side is supposed to be really good for panaramic views, but the Argentina side has a lot more to do at their park, so it is wayyyy better! They had three different trails that took you to different parts of the falls, one of which was called Devil's Throat which was basically a HUGE basin where humongous waterfalls emptied.  It was loud and completely amazing! I want to upload video on to facebook of it, but stupid facebook takes FOREVER to upload things down here, and at internet cafes, that is extra dineiro I need to save. haha. I'll give it a shot though!

One of the cool things I got to do on the Argentina side was take a boat ride up into the falls! He took us right underneath two falls and obviously we were drenched, but it was so fun and felt amazing since it was so hot outside! I feel lucky in terms of weather on my trip so far. Nothing has been ruined because I haven't had bad weather at all! I need to knock on wood though. Hopefully the luck lasts. I know I am not in many of the pictures I am putting online--kinda hard to have pictures of yourself when you're out and about on your own. Also, I have gotten such a HUGE tan, that unfortunately, I need to use the flash to even show up in pictures. lol. Unfortunately, I am being completely serious. I'm going to avoid the beach for a few countries. haha.

Next stop, Buenos Aires!  Argentina buses are supposed to be great though since they give you wine and cheese and food on your bus. I don't think I will mind the next 20 hours if I get some good Argentinian wine! :)

              

1 comment:

  1. my parents will be out in brazil the end of march/beggining of april... they are also going to iguazu falls... seems like an awesome time... glad you are enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete