Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.

I've been trying to think about what to write about my 4 day trek to Machu Picchu, and I don't really know what to say about it, except that it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done, and definitely one of the highlights of my trip.

Twenty-nine miles over 4 days way past sea level--I figured it would be one of the hardest things I'd do physically on the trip, and I figured I would be lagging in the back of the group the whole way. Instead, I was basically in the front most of the time, and I was finishing the day and getting to the campsites before 98% of my group! SWEET! Talk about a self-esteem boost. haha.

Nina was a rockstar during the entire trek too! I was worried when she told me she stopped running on the treadmill and went to bikram yoga classes instead and really improved her breathing. Seriously nina? You opted for bikram yoga instead of building your endurance?  But that bikram yoga is no joke (i know now that i've tried it.)  We became friends with an aussie couple, an irish guy and an english guy, and it worked out so that she had company and i had company any time we were separate from each other since I was like a mountain goat when it came to hills and stairs. I never thought I would be happy to compare myself to a mountain goat, but in this case, DEFINITELY PROUD to be a mountain goat.

Proudest moment on the trek: Finishing the dead woman's pass in less than an hour.
Happiest moment: Getting to the sun gate and seeing MP with Nina for the first time.
2nd happiest moment: eating a snicker's bar while at MP bc 1. we had saved it for days 2. i was REALLY hungry since our breakfast was at 4am, and we trekked for another 3 hours before even getting to MP 3. i knew my dad would appreciate the picture. :)

If you get a chance to go to MP, even if it's via the train, DO IT.  Doing a trek would be my first recommendation bc the views are absolutely stunning while getting there and because the feelings of accomplishment and happiness when you finally get there after days of hard hiking, camping, and being dirty are amazing, and you realize all of the sweating (blood and tears if it happens to you) was totally worth it. The Incas floor you with their craftsmanship, architecture and skill that is hard to imagine hundreds of years ago. And if you have the energy (or if you don't, find it) climb Waynapicchu (big green mountain in my blog picture). It is at least another 45 minutes (35 for me!) of sheer uphill climbing to the top that will really burn your thighs, but the views from the top are amazing and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment