Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Morro de Sao Paolo: Why are there peas in my hot dog?

Morro de Sao Paolo can be summed up into: beautiful beaches with lots of (israeli) tourists.

We just barely made the two hour boat ride to the island, and we showed up with no place to stay and the backup plan of sleeping on the beach if we couldn´t find a place. I figured this might not be the smartest way to travel, but since I was with 4 other people, I could give this a try.  Not having a place would have been no big though.  The place is ultra touristy, and sleeping on the beach would have been completely safe and probably more comfortable than a room without air conditioning.

We found a nice hostel and settled in to lots of fun in the sun. I have sun burn worse than I´ve ever gotten before, but it was worth it. The beaches here look like they are straight from a post card.  I should consider investing in a summer home in brazil. haha.

I zip lined down a cliff that was 300 meters high that ended in the ocean.  Super fun, except when my tush hit the water, my bottom slid right off--not all way since there was a harness, but enough to expose my butt. haha. Luckily for me, only 70% of the people on the beach saw most of which were families, and my bottom was only exposed for about 2 seconds. There were some sleezy guys in the water who also unfortunately got a peek, but oh well.  Note to self for next time: wear shorts even if you´re going to end up in the water.

Hit up a beach party at night, which was lots of fun.  Apparently, Morro is a huge Israeli vacation hot spot. Who knew? My diet has been mostly just fruit for breakfast, and pasta for dinner.  Lunch doesn´t usually happen, but mostly because I am doing things, and my breakfast is pretty filling.  Hit up a beach party and thought I was getting some of home when I ordered a hot dog from the stand. I was wrong. The mustard was flourescent yellow and there was some sort of cheese product gluing the bun shut. My friend got a hot dog that ended up having peas and corn inside amoung other questionable hot dog toppings. Not trying that again...

I missed my bus to Rio, so I´ll have to take one tomorrow.  But I did manage to get to the bus station and get my ticket changed all by myself in portuguese. I wish I had someone around to give me a cookie.  In the meantime, I´m back in Salvador at a new hostel. I met a guy from Montreal at the bus station who helped me out a bit and brought me to the hostel he was staying at.  Nice guy for the help, but overall he´s pretty obnoxious and condescending, and I just wanted to kick him most of the time.  He didn´t help me carry my bags ONCE the entire time we were walking through the bus station and on the streets to the hostel.  All he had was a bottle of water. Idiot.  He did introduce a group of us to some brazilian cuisine called macaquaco which was not bad, but he still doesn´t get points.

There´s always a street festival here in the center on Tuesdays, so I might check that out and relax before my bus journey. Luckily friends from Morro will be on the same bus tomorrow so I´ll have company the whole way.

No comments:

Post a Comment