Tuesday, April 20, 2010

La Paz, La Paz, La Paz!

La Paz! Wow, this city is insane! Not a whole lot of sights to see, but a fantastic array of restaurants for almost no money, and an awesome night life!

I spent a few days in the city just relaxing during the day by spending my time walking through the Witch's Market, which had llama and alpacha EVERYTHING for sale!  I bought hats, mittens, socks, leg warmers, and jumpers all for $2 or $3 each. What a bargain!! Yes, I will be wearing items of clothing that have llamas on them.  You all better still walk down the street with me. haha.

I had Indian food for the first time in ages at a restaurant that claims to have the spiciest vindaloo in La Paz.  I had it twice bc it was pretty good, and both times, my entire meal was less than $10. So amazingly cheap! I loved it!  I thought that I was cool enough to try this spiciest vindaloo, but I heard from some guys that the portion is huge and that it is extremely spicy! I opted for chiken tikka masala again instead of the vindaloo, and I am so happy I did!! There was a group of 18 yr old english boys at the table next to us, and a few of them thought they could handle the heat, but they definitely couldn't!  They were red in the face, crying, and basically in pain within the first 2 bites, and the entire time they tried to eat, it didn't look like their plates were getting any emptier.  We had the waiter bring us out a small sample so we could see what it was like, and I basically felt like my mouth was on fire for a good 5 minutes after washing the food down, and I barely had a teaspoon.  All you could see were chili seeds in the vindaloo though, so I am not surprised that it was so hot!

I also attempted to get some thai because I have been craving pad thai, but the first thai restaurant I checked out had a questionable looking picture of pad thai on the their menu, and the second restaurant didn't even have it on the menu! What the shit!? How can you not have the most famous dish of a country on the menu?  We opted to eat at an international cuisine house, and that was much better.

Met some really fun people at my hostel, too, that hopefully I can meet up with later on in my trip. And randomly, I ended up seeing someone I hung out with in every single city I went to in Brazil except one!  I guess once everyone gets through Argentina, they have to head north again sometime.

I also biked down the ¨World's Most Dangerous Road¨ which is basically 64km of downhill biking (you descend 3000m in altitude) on a road that has claimed more lives than any other in the world, not just cars and buses, but also bikers.  An isreali girl actually died doing the road 2 days before I did it because she lost control of her bike and fell down a 250m cliff.  Craziness! I was pretty much praying right at the start of the bike ride, but it was all on concrete so I relaxed quite a bit and just went really fast.  Once we got to the actual Road, which is all dirt and gravel and rocks with no edge and 200-300m cliffs, I started to pray a lot and I thought about that israeli girl a lot.  She had a really bad day for weather where there was no visibility, so I can understand how she lost control going to fast if she tried to take a turn.  I went as fast as I felt comfortable, which was pretty fast, and managed to stay on my bike the whole time, although twice during our stops, the guides kept eyeing my bike and touching my brakes! I was like umm...is my bike ok?  And one guide didn't think so and thought I should change it, while the other was like, ´´eh, how do you feel on it?´´  Turns out my left brake (the most important brake) was not tight enough, and after going down 40km of the road, including the most dangerous part, they tightened my brake. Thanks a lot guys. Haha. I´m just glad I got down to the bottom without any problems. :)

Overall, La Paz was a great time because I got to do some fun things, plus I got to go out for the first time in over a month!

Heading to the amazon via La Paz, and I am SO EXCITED!!! It's going to be sweeeeet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment