Thursday, June 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home...I think..

Ahh, home life! No more shower sandals, no more skimping on soap, shampoo and toothpaste to make it last, no more carrying around a heavy backpack, and no more packing and unpacking every two or three days! Oh yeah, now I get a big comfy bed, clean bathroom, and home-cooked meals three times a day.  It is not going to take long for me to gain back any weight I might have lost. haha.

I've been home now for about a month, and except for my first day back, not a day has gone by where I haven't wished I was still adventuring in South America. To have something new and exciting to do everyday, someone new to meet in every place, some spectacular bit of scenery to see, the sights, the smells, the sounds, and the crazy driving...I miss it all. I've come home to friends and family who are genuinely excited to have me back, but who also have lives--I'm back to that being-unemployed-while-all-my-friends-are-in-school-or-have-jobs thing. I'm bored out of my mind, and I can't understand how I ever thought shower sandals were something to complain about. haha.

I suppose after traipsing through half a continent, suburbian life in small town America could never be exciting, but I can't help but to wish it was. I spend my days daydreaming about Brazilian beaches, the Argentine nightlife, and the Andes mountains.  Another chapter in my life is about to begin with school, and I should be excited about that, which I guess I am in a small way, but it's hard to be after my three months abroad.  It was too short. I should have gone earlier or I should have stayed longer.  I feel like there is so much left to do and see in this world and spending five years of it dedicated to school seems like an utter waste of time. Ugh.  Perhaps this is just what happens to people when they return from a trip like this.  Perhaps this is mostly a product of my boredom at home, and if I had more to keep myself busy with than I wouldn't miss traveling so much.  

I think I've caught the travel bug anyway, and now it's just a matter of time until my next trip! Southeast Asia Summer of 2011 anyone? =)

A big thanks to everyone who kept in touch with me and kept up with my adventures through this blog! I'm not sure if I was entertaining enough, but I hope you found it fun to follow along as I traveled through the 5 countries in South America.  I'll most definitely be making a return journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment