Tuesday, January 26, 2010

7 days and counting...

One week left!! Where has the time gone?!  I can't believe I pulled this trip together in 4 weeks! Feels like it's taken me forever since I started mapping this all out in December, but I'm just really happy to see all my efforts are going to pay off.

I believe my packing battle has ended.  Final list of stuff included two pairs of pants, so I should be in the clear for laundry.  Although for anyone who was wondering, I was going to take more than one pair of pants--they just weren't going to be long pants. But the final count of important items is: 2 pairs of long pants, 2 tees, 2 long-sleeved shirts, 3 dresses, 2 swimsuits, 5 pairs of socks, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip flops, 1 fleece, 1 rain jacket, and of course, underwear.  Doesn't seem like much, right?  Don't be fooled. I still have to consider all the other "essentials" for backpacking like first aid supplies, a flashlight, granola bars, meds, toiletries, etc.etc.etc. Minimalist is what I'm shooting for, but my bag doesn't leave much room for shopping while I'm there. boo.

In other news I found out my travel friend, Jen, will not be joining me on Feb. 2 like we originally planned.  Unfortunately she has a shoulder injury that is going to need some more tending to so she won't be coming to Rio until Feb. 14.  That leaves me 12 days to wander the country alone. Yup, alone. I freaked out for a little bit, but decided it wasn't going to put a damper on my trip! Now instead of hanging out in Rio for way longer than I wanted to, I get to do what I originally hoped to do: travel up north to Salvador and check out some of the coastal cities between the two cities.

I've added a flight to go straight up to Salvador from Rio and I plan to take a bus trip down the coast (roughly 2,000km) making stops along the way.  It's a long ride--about 20-24 hours. Like I said, I'm definitely nervous, but I'm sure I'll meet some really great people up in Salvador and hopefully someone who wants to do the bus journey with me! Besides, I'll have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world to see, so I'm not too sad.

I still have a laundry list of things to take care of before next week, so I'm sure this week will fly by! Until then, I'm going to try to soak in as much time with my parents, brother, friends, Jack Bauer and Diane Sawyer as I can!

1 comment:

  1. WOOOHOOOO FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and I will be sending you all my hugs, smiles, and general good luck vibes!!!!!! Can't wait to *kind of* share in your travels and experiences!

    love love love
    Marzi

    ReplyDelete